COVID-19 PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE
Student and staff safety is our top priority at The School District of Gilman.
Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers declared that Wisconsin is under a state of emergency. We will be updating this page as we outline what this will mean for Gilman School. Parents and guardians should watch email for an official announcement from the district.
In our efforts to keep our students, staff and families informed with the latest information on COVID-19 or Coronavirus, please use this page as a reference for District communications regarding COVID-19 and other helpful resources.
This global health event impacts us all. It requires us to take careful precautions and to follow advice provided by public health experts.
Athletics and Events: All before and after school events and activities including athletics, parent-teacher conferences, and club sponsored events are postponed until further notice.
School Sponsored Trips: All field trips are postponed until further notice.
3P Community Fitness Center: Is closed until further notice.
Spring Break Travel:
- We advise everyone to consider all travel plans, especially out of state and determine if travel is essential.
- International travel should be avoided at this time and if necessary will require you to notify the School District of Gilman regarding your international travel prior to you returning to school.
- If you travel to California, New York, or Washington you are required to notify the School District of Gilman regarding your travel prior to returning to school.
- If you travel to a location listed in items 2 or 3, when you return to Wisconsin you will not be allowed in school for 14 days and you are encouraged to follow the guidelines set by the Center for Disease Control to self-quarantine during those 14 days and monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 including fever and cough. Student absences due to the listed travel restrictions will be medically excused.
- We encourage you to check the CDC Travel Advisory page prior to your travels.
For the most up to date information please follow Taylor County Health Department on Facebook, or visit the Wisconsin Department of Health Services’ webpage https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/disease/covid-19.htm and Centers for Disease Control COVID-19 https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html.
PRECAUTIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
The District is taking a number of precautions to minimize the risk to our students, staff and families:
- We are asking all of our families to monitor their student’s health, as well as their own. If their child is sick with flu-like symptoms, fever, cough or shortness of breath, we are recommending that parents and guardians seek medical treatment and keep the child home from school. We are also asking staff and visitors to follow these same precautions.
- Our custodial staff is doubling its effort to ensure that high-touch surfaces are being disinfected. The products we use are hospital-grade cleaners and peroxide based. Custodians will replace soap and hand sanitizers often. All buses will be disinfected daily, and the Food Service Department will continue to follow food safety practices and use approved disinfectants.
We encourage all students, staff and community members to follow these recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content.
- Stay at home if you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, and throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.